logo

logo

Sunday, March 6, 2011

You Say Potato-I Say Potawto....We All Say Soup!

Originally posted 11/12/10

Good morning!  Happy Friday!  This is what it looks like here in Reno…..
That’s my backyard!  Jealous?  I know my mom’s not, but for those of you that like snow…..jealous?;)  We got quite a bit of snowfall Wednesday morning.  As of now….I still love it.  Check with me in March, and I might be singing a different tune. 
Another picture of my backyard.  We live in the forest, for those of you that don’t know.  We just moved here last July, so the snow is very exciting for us.  I am pretty sure I hadn’t played in the snow since I was in 8th grade….so of course I was rockin’ a fluorescent pink snow suit back then.
Addy….lovin’ the snow. 
Don’t eat the yellow snow!!

Alright, back to what you all came for….a recipe!  I am assuming you weren’t reading this for Barnes’ family pictures….Because it was so cold here, we were all craving soup.  I made the BEST EVER Potato Soup.  I have always loved potato soup, and this recipe is seriously good.  It has bacon in it, so it is pretty much a given that it’s good.  It is also one of my favorites because it is super easy.
I started with 2 ½ pounds of potatoes.  I used Yukon Gold, but you can pretty much use whatever you have.  I like the Yukon Golds because they have a thin skin.  I still peel them, but if you miss big chunks…..it really isn’t a big deal.
Above is  cooked bacon (save the grease!!),  1 onion (diced), 1 tablespoon of garlic, rosemary and bay leaves, chicken stock, heavy cream, french fried onions, and lots ‘o cheese.  Yep, I am using cheese, bacon and cream….I am figuring you don’t come to me for diet recipes…..
I started by cooking the onion in the leftover bacon grease, in a large pot.  After a couple of minutes, I added the minced garlic, 2 bay leaves and 1 large sprig of rosemary.  I let this cook together, on medium, for about 5 minutes.  While this was cooking, I cut the peeled potatoes into a large dice.  I kept the dice pretty uniform because I want the potatoes to cook evenly.  It doesn’t have to be pretty because I will be pureeing the soup later.
After I added the potatoes to the pot, I covered them in chicken stock.  I used a full 4 cups.  Once this came to a boil, I put the lid on and let ‘er rip for 15 minutes.
After 15 minutes, the potatoes were falling apart tender.  I pulled out the bay leaves and the rosemary, which was now just a naked sprig.  I used my immersion blender to puree, but you could totally use your blender.  Just remember to hold a towel over the lid.  Hot liquids and a blender sometimes aren’t friends.  You can puree it as much or as little as you like.  I like somewhere between super chunky and babyfood.
I added 1 cup of liquid of the gods….er, I mean cream.  You could add less, but I think that’s just crazy talk.
I also added 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese.  Important note:  Potato Soup loves salt!  This soup needs A LOT of salt.  So salt and pepper to taste.
Does that not look like the best potato soup ever??!!  I put more cheese on top, the cooked bacon and french fried onions.  I love this, my husband loves it, and most importantly, my kids love it.  Soup is such a comfort food, and this definitely warms you up and comforts you.  It is cheesy (in a good way), warm and yummy!!  I hope you try it.  You can always come play in the snow at my house if you need an excuse to make it!

Best Ever Potato Soup
2 ½ pounds Yukon Gold Potatoes, peeled and diced
8 ounces bacon, cooked and grease reserved
1 onion, chopped
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 sprig or 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
2 bay leaves
4 cups chicken stock
1 cup heavy cream
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
French fried onions, for garnish

Sauté bacon and reserve grease.  Crumble bacon and set aside. 
Sauté chopped onion in bacon grease.  Once the bacon has started to soften, about 4 minutes, add garlic, rosemary and bay leaves.  Sauté an additional 5 minutes, until onions are soft and beginning to brown.
Add diced potatoes.  Pour chicken stock over potatoes.  Bring to a boil and cover.  Cook for 15 minutes, or until potatoes are falling apart.
Pull out the bay leaves and rosemary sprig.  Blend with immersion blender, or in blender, until desired consistency.
Add cream and 1 cup shredded cheese and mix well.
Top with additional cheese, reserved bacon and french fried onions to serve.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share