logo

logo

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

King Cake!.....Sort Of.....

Good afternoon!  Happy Fat Tuesday!  I wish I was celebrating a bit more…..but we have all been sick since Saturday.  Like high fever, sore throat, general grossness sick.  Blech.  I am having a hard time being witty today, so feel free to insert your own jokes as needed.  Also, as I said on Facebook, I have had blog issues since Thursday.  The server that hosts my blog is down.  I had to completely change my blog over to a new hosting site.  My blog will now be found at www.gourmetrooster.blogspot.com.  Soooo, I spent all day Saturday and Sunday re-entering my past blog posts to the new site.  This way, new readers will still have access to my archives.  When you are looking at my archives on the new site….I didn’t get super ambitious and post a bazillion new posts on 3/7/11……They are most likely posts you have already read.  Also, I am working on setting up this blog so that all my recipes will be tabbed on top, and easier to find.  I am somewhat computer-impaired…..so give me time.
As promised, I have my last Mardi Gras recipe for today.  I wanted to post a recipe for a King Cake.  The name “King Cake,” is biblical and I won’t get into that right now.  But I will tell you that it is a bread-like cake baked in a big donut shape.  It usually has a filling such as cream cheese, pecans or cinnamon and sugar.  It is frosted and has purple, green and gold sprinkles on top.    It also usually has a little plastic baby hidden inside.  Supposedly, whoever finds the baby in their piece is the king or queen for the day.  Now, I find this to be a flat-out choking hazard…..so I don’t follow that tradition.

I wanted to simplify the process of making a King Cake.  I sat down in my “Thinking Chair” just like on Blue’s Clues, and decided that I was going to use canned cinnamon rolls.  I figured they are a yeast cake with cinnamon sugar filling, so why not?  I made mine like a monkey bread.  It turned out so good!  It definitely isn’t a traditional King Cake, but hey….I’m not from Louisiana anyway.  So classic King Cake?….no.  Super good?.....yes.
Like I said, I used canned cinnamon rolls….2 cans worth.  I also used sugar, cinnamon, butter and caramel.  Caramel isn’t traditionally used in a King Cake, but I am a rebel like that.  Rules don’t apply to me.

I separated all of the rolls and cut them into quarters.  I also placed the sugar and cinnamon into a large re-sealable bag.  Once the rolls were cut, I put them into the bag.
I sealed the bag and shook them all about while I did the Hokey Pokey.  They will get completely covered in the cinnamon sugar. 
I sprayed a Bundt pan with cooking spray.  I used quite a bit because I don’t want this to stick.
Then, I placed ½ of the quartered rolls into the bottom of the pan.  I poured caramel sauce over the rolls, about ½ of a cup.  I tried not to hit the sides because, obviously, caramel will stick like nobody’s business.  I topped this with the rest of the quartered rolls.
You will probably have some remaining cinnamon sugar in the bag…..pour that over the top.  Then, pour a stick of melted butter over the top of that.  Is there anything that wouldn’t be good without a stick of melted butter over the top?  Probably not.
I baked this for about 25 minutes.  It will rise and get nice and brown on the top.  Once I took it out of the oven, I let it cool for about 15 minutes, and then I inverted it onto a serving dish.  Then….I stuck my face in the pan and licked off whatever stuck.  Don’t you judge me.  You know you do that too.
My cinnamon rolls came with 2 little cans of frosting.  I didn’t use those.  They taste like the can.  I made my own using powdered sugar, heavy cream and vanilla extract. 

I used about 2 cups of powdered sugar and about ¼ cup heavy cream.  I also used a teaspoon of vanilla.  How much you use will depend on the moisture in your house.  Start with a small amount of cream and then add powdered sugar as needed.  You want it to be thick enough to stay on the cake, but thin enough to pour.  Make sense?
I poured the glaze over the cake once it had cooled for about an hour.  Then, I topped the glaze with purple, green and yellow sprinkles.  Gold was too hard to find.
This cake was super yummy.  It made my sick little self feel 35% better;)  Change the sprinkle color and you really could use this recipe for all occasions.  Duh-it is just monkey bread;)  It is also crazy good warmed up the next day….if you have leftovers.
I hope you have a great Fat Tuesday!  Wear some beads, lift up your shirt, and drink some cocktails…basically celebrate for me.  I’m still sickL  See ya Thursday.
BTW-Hope you like the new blog!
Court’s “King Cake”
2 cans cinnamon rolls
½ cup sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
½ cup caramel
½ cup butter (1 stick)
2 cups powdered sugar
¼ cup heavy cream, or whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Sprinkles
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
Open cans of cinnamon rolls and separate individual rolls.  Cut each roll into quarter.
Place sugar and cinnamon in re-sealable plastic bag.  Put quartered rolls into bag.  Seal and shake.
Spray a Bundt pan with cooking spray.  Place ½ of the quartered rolls into the bottom of the pan.  Pour caramel onto the rolls.  Top with remaining rolls.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 28 minutes, or until browned on the top.  Let cool for 15 minutes, then invert onto serving dish.
Place 2 cups powdered sugar into mixing bowl.  Add vanilla and mix.  Slowly add cream and mix, until desired consistency is reached. 
Pour glaze over cooled cake and top with sprinkles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share