logo

logo

Thursday, March 31, 2011

I Heart Fruit Spreads!

Hello blog friends!  I am so excited that we are finally having some sunny weather!  It is supposed to be in the 70’s today and tomorrow, which seriously warms my little heart.  Last night, we sat on our porch and watched the kids play.  We still have some snow, but our driveway was clear.  Paisley, of course, is like a moth to a flame with the snow…..She has to get muddy, icy and wet.  That kid is just asking to get frostbite on her toes.  I keep telling her that she will be pissed during sandal season if she has no toes;)
Chris and I enjoyed an adult beverage while we watched the girls play.  Here in Reno, we have a brewery called Buckbean.  They have the best beers!  And I know beer…..I went to Chico.  And I’m not saying that I am a beer expert because of the amount of Keystone Ice and Natural Lights that I have imbibed, but rather because Chico is home to Sierra Nevada Brewery.  We Chico-ites (Chicoans?  Chicoers?) know good beer.
Buckbean makes an “Orange Blossom” beer that I love.  It is really like you are drinking an orange tree.  If you like your beer with a slice of orange in it (you know what kind I’m talking about), you will love this.  The brewery is right here in Reno, but you can buy there beer in tons of places…..California too!  It comes only in cans, which I like because I can smash it on my forehead when I am done.  I am kidding.  I wouldn’t want a bruise.  But I do like the cans because you can bring cans to more places…pool, beach, etc.  I think their reasoning has to do with the taste, quality and environment…..not head smashing;)  Check it out at www.buckbeanbeer.com.
But back to me and my products….I often get asked, “What can I do with your fruit spreads?”  Lucky for you….I have tons of answers;)  First off, you can use my fruit spreads just like you would use a jam or jelly.  Because I always have it on hand, my kids eat it in sandwiches.  However, there is a lot more to it than just a component of a pb&j.  I will show you some ideas!!
I wills start with some easy ones….
My spreads make a great pancake topping.  Who needs syrup?  I heat it up a bit and pour it over pancakes and waffles.
I also stir it into yogurt.  My fruit spreads are pretty low in sugar, so when mixed with fat free yogurt…..it is great when you are watching calories.  I mix it into vanilla Greek yogurt.  I don’t usually try to make it pretty like aboveJ
This is my husband’s favorite.  I stir it into cooked oatmeal.  I sprinkle the top with sugar and then pop it under the broiler for a few minutes.  This gives it a “candy coating”, like crème brulee.
I also pour it over ice cream.  I pour the apple spread over vanilla ice cream and serve it with graham crackers…..lazy girl’s apple pie;)
Last weekend at my mom’s house, we had cheesecake (store-bought) with fruit spread poured over the top.  I heated the fruit spread and poured it on, and then I topped that with caramel.  You can serve this at a party and nobody would guess that you bought the cheesecake.  It gives the cheesecakes a fancy touch.
Above is a quick breakfast treat.  I make pinwheels out of puff pastry, cream cheese and fruit spread.  They look super complicated, but couldn’t be easier.  I spread out a sheet of puff pastry (in the frozen section of your grocery store), spread it lightly with cream cheese, then fruit spread, and roll up.  I wrap the roll in plastic wrap and pop it in the freezer to harden a bit.  This makes it easier to cut.  They are a quick bake, about 15 minutes.  These are perfect for a fancy brunch!
My fruit spread is also a great addition to muffins.  I like to fill my muffin cups about halfway, and then put a spoonful of fruit spread in.  I cover that in more batter and bake.
The muffins will bake up with a surprise in the middle!!
This dresses up any muffin recipe, or muffin mix!
Lastly, my fruit spreads make great ice cream or frozen yogurt.  Do you have an ice cream maker?  No?  You should get one.  They are so fun!  I love experimenting with ice cream flavors.  Above is just plain vanilla yogurt mixed with County Fair Peach Spread.  I dump them both into the ice cream make and turn it on.  The best thing about my fruit spreads is that they are already spiced!  You don’t need to add anything else, like cinnamon, sugar, etc.  These spreads really could not make cooking and baking easier! 
What do you do with Gourmet Rooster Fruit Spreads?  I would love to hear your ideas/recipes….with pictures!!
So if you haven’t tried my fruit spreads yet, come visit me at the Clayton Art and Wine Festival, April 30th and May 1st.  I will be sampling my products at The Royal Rooster!  Come say hi!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for all the ideas! I want to try the pinwheel recipe soon. I wonder how many WW points it would be?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So is it wrong that I just eat it straight from the jar with a spoon? It's sooooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It all looks delicious! I love adding fruit spreads in my yogurt and oatmeal! Cant wait to try the lazy girl's apple pie :)

    ReplyDelete

Share