logo

logo

Monday, March 7, 2011

Does Anyone Actually Eat the Cranberry Sauce? (You Will!)

Originally posted 11/15/10

Good morning blog peeps!  I am keeping this short and sweet today……I just got back from a fabulous girl’s weekend in Sonoma, and I am exhausted.  We stayed at the beautiful Renaissance Lodge at Sonoma.  It really is so pretty there.  The weather was quite a change for me as it was 75 there. I had to make a pit stop at the mall on my way to get a short sleeved shirt.  Yes, I should have checked the weather report before I left, but what would be the fun in that? Anyway, we all had a great time, ate some yummy food, and laughed a lot.
Back to the real reason you are reading this, (although I have high hopes that you read this for my witty anecdotes) the food!  Today’s recipe is for Spicy Cranberry Sauce.  I know that cranberry sauce is usually an afterthought, something you include but don’t really know why.  This sauce is not that.  It isn’t the fresh out of a can, jelly-like stuff.  I use fresh cranberries, mustard, marmalade, and it is delicious!  This sauce deserves a spot on your Thanksgiving table.
Above is a bag of fresh cranberries (available in the produce section, I promise), orange marmalade, horseradish mustard, brown sugar, white sugar and water.  Don’t make the mistake of trying to eat a fresh cranberry.  They are hard and bitter, like I will be at 80.
I started by putting the water and both sugars in a small pot.  Cook this on high until it boils.  Add the cranberries and cook for about 10 minutes, uncovered.  The cranberries will start to pop, and the sauce will thicken.  I assume the thickening is due to the natural pectin’s coming out, but I am no scientist.  Actually, I know that is why, so maybe I do dabble in science.
After 10 minutes, pull it off the heat and stir in mustard and marmalade and that’s that.  Fresh, delicious cranberry sauce!
This is best served at room temperature, so feel free to make it a few days ahead of time.  Cook it and let it cool, and them pop it in the fridge.  On Thanksgiving, take it out of the fridge and let it sit out for a couple of hours.  Don’t forget about it!  It will be e huge part of your meal!  It is spicy and sweet and so good with turkey.  It is also great poured over a brick of cream cheese and served with crackers for a great turkey day appetizer.  And always save your leftover cranberry sauce for day after turkey sandwiches!

I know that you will love this recipe.  It is so easy and it makes you look super fancy for taking the time to make your own cranberry sauce.  You could even jar it up and give it to your guests as a party favor!

Court’s Spicy Cranberry Sauce
1 12 ounce bag fresh cranberries
1 cup water
½ cup sugar
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup horseradish mustard
½ cup orange marmalade

Bring water and sugars to a boil.  Add cranberries and cook for 10 minutes, uncovered.  Take off heat and add mustard and marmalade.  Mix well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share