logo

logo

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Chili For Cowgirls Only;)

Originally posted 10/11/10


Ahh, the majestic beauty…….aaaannnnd, the freezing temperatures.  This is where I live.  At the base of beautiful Mt. Rose in Nevada, very near Tahoe.  We had an early storm last week.  I froze.  This doesn’t bode well for the rest of the winter…..

To back track a bit.  I used to live in the Bay Area, California.  I was born and raised in Concord.  Most recently, I lived in San Ramon.  Until recently, I thought 45 degrees was too cold to go outside.  I am pretty sure I am in for it this winter.  Last Monday, it was 42 degrees in the morning.  I bundled up my kids in their new down jackets.  They were dressed like Ralphie going to school in A Christmas Story…..They couldn’t put their arms down!  I had a slight panic attack that they didn’t have boots, hats and gloves yet……Got Addy to school…..the kids were still in shorts and t-shirts.  Apparently it wasn’t cold if you are from here.  Again, this doesn’t bode well for me.  But I will get used to it.  I have a super cute new jacket, new gloves, and finally, my numerous pairs of Uggs will be used for more then just a fashion statement.  I just keep reminding myself of that.  Plus, it is so beautiful here; I think I will learn to love the snow?!?

Sooooo, when it was cold out, I decided to make something warm and comforting.  I always crave comfort food when it is cold out.  Who am I kidding??  I crave it all year ‘round.  So I made my kid’s favorite, Cowgirl Chili.  This is one of my most “kid-friendly” recipes.  It is slightly sweet and super yummy.  The recipe can easily be doubled or even tripled for a crowd.  Luckily, I didn’t double mine because today……it was 75 degrees out. 

 

For this recipe, you will need ½ pound of bacon, 1 pound of ground turkey, chicken or beef, 2 cans of pork and beans (I said it was kid-friendly, not gourmet), 1 can of kidney beans, 1 small diced onion, ketchup, honey mustard, ranch seasoning, apple cider vinegar, honey and apple juice.

To start, chop your bacon and brown it up.  When it is crispy, remove it and drain it, but keep the bacon grease in the pan.  Sauté the onion in the grease until translucent.  Which means cook it until it is soft and sweaty.  A great look for onions, not such a hot look for people. 
Add your ground meat and brown it.
 Add the beans, ketchup, mustard, ranch seasoning, vinegar

Add your honey.  Spray your measuring cup with cooking spray first, and your honey will slide right out.  If the chili is too thick, add apple juice until it is how you like it.  Salt and pepper the whole thing, to taste, and let it cook for about 20 minutes.  Or, throw it in a slow cooker and set it too low.  Add the bacon just before serving.
I top mine with cheese and sour cream.  Remember, it is slightly sweet, so it is pretty different from the chili you are probably used too……

I hope that you make this soon!  It may not be cold out where you are, but just crank up the air conditioning and put some Uggs on;)

Cowgirl Chili

½ pound bacon
1 small onion, diced
1 pound ground turkey
2 15 ounce cans Pork and Beans
1 15 ounce can kidney beans
1 1 ounce package ranch dressing mix
1 cup ketchup
¼ cup honey mustard
2 T apple-cider vinegar
½ cup honey
Apple juice
Salt and pepper

Dice bacon and brown.  Drain bacon and set aside, reserving rendered drippings.  Sauté onion in drippings until translucent.  Add ground turkey and cook until browned.  Add beans, ranch mix, ketchup, mustard, vinegar and honey.  If chili is too thick, add apple juice until desired consistency is reached.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Cook on medium-high for 20 minutes or cook on low in slow cooker for 6 to 8 hours.

Serves about 6 normal people, or 2 Courtneys

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share