logo

logo

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Pumpkins For My Punkins!

Originally posted 10/15/10

A couple of days ago, I went on a field trip with my 5 year old.  We visited the Nevada State Museum and the Governor’s Mansion.  We actually got to tour the Governor’s Mansion, and it was absolutely beautiful.  So beautiful, it makes me want to get into politics and maybe one day I can live there.  I would institute some pretty sweet policies…..Like a mandatory naptime for adults, and perhaps a 4 day work week.  Anyway, Governor Gibbons wasn’t there (at first), and we didn’t have any celebrity sightings;)  He fell off a horse about a month ago and has been recuperating in the hospital. We were told that he came home while we were there.  Obviously he went straight to his room.  Can you imagine coming home from a month in the hospital and having 100 first graders in your house?  I would probably go right back to the hospital…..

In the kitchen of the mansion, that was amazing by the way, the chef was making homemade candy to hand out to trick or treaters.  They, apparently, get a ton so she was getting a head start.  I thought, “Man, I should step up my game and make homemade treats.”  I realize that most parents would not be too stoked about homemade treats being given to their kids, but I figure if the Governor can do it, then by golly, so can I.  I inspire the same amount of trust, right?  I will only give the treats to kids that I know.  The parent’s of these kids know that I tend not to lace my treats with cyanide.  Maybe my candy making will lead to something more….I will get hired to make all of the Governor’s candy….and perhaps expand my empire to all 50 states, plus Puerto Rico.  I’ve got big dreams, me;)

So this will be part one of two, in terms of homemade Halloween treats.  Part two will be next Friday.  Today, I will show you how to make Donut Pumpkins.  They are essentially candy coated donut holes.  Donuts, good.  Candy, goooood. 
To make these super easy treats, you need donut holes (glazed because candy coating won’t stick to powder or chocolate), vanilla candy coating, green licorice and orange food coloring.  I used the candy coating that comes in its own microwavable tray.  I also used food coloring specifically used for candy making, but you can totally use regular food coloring.
 The candy coating melts in the microwave, in about a minute.  It is weird because it retains its shape, which almost fools you into cooking it more.  Don’t be fooled!  Just stir it till it becomes smooth.  You can microwave it in 15 second increments if it isn’t smooth after 1 minute.  Try not to eat the candy coating now.  I did stick my finger in it several times.  Don’t you judge me.
 I used about 3 drops of orange food coloring.  The coloring I used is pretty strong.  If you use regular food coloring, you will probably have to use red and yellow to make orange.  I am confident that you can handle that.
 Before you start dippin’ your donuts, cut your licorice into “stem-like” pieces.  Can you see the orange on my hands?  I am sure that you will be more careful with your food coloring……I, on the other hand, will be sportin’ orange fingers for the foreseeable future.
 Start dipping!  Use toothpicks to make it easier on yourself.  Fingers, forks, tongs, etc. will leave marks in the coating.  If the candy coating starts to get to thick, put it back in the microwave for about 10 seconds.  Again, try not to stick your face in it…..But let’s be honest….everything is better when dipped in a candy coating….donuts, pretzels, fruit, rocks…..Everything.

Set the dipped donut on a tray to harden.  Stick a piece of licorice into the top before the coating hardens.  You can stick it down into the actual donut so it will stay.  The donuts harden in about 15 minutes.
How cute are those??  Package them up, and they are ready to be given away.  These would be cute for a class party, or a Halloween party as well as for trick or treaters.  I will have to make several batches because this batch won’t last long.  I can power down donut holes like nobody’s business!

Donut Pumpkins
2  16 ounce/1 pound boxes glazed donut holes
1 16 ounce/1 pound vanilla candy coating
4 pieces green licorice
Orange food coloring

Melt the candy coating according to package directions.  Stir until smooth.  Add food coloring, stir.  Dip donut holes in melted candy coating.  Set to dry for about 15 to 30 minutes.  Garnish with green licorice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share