logo

logo

Monday, March 7, 2011

Leftover Turkey Enchiladas

Originally posted 11/27/10

OMG-I am such a loser!  I know I promised a post yesterday afternoon…..and I have let you down.  Not that this is any excuse, but I had a house full of family, and I was just too busy!!  Unfortunately, my family had to leave early because a storm was coming in.  I guess it is a good thing that they got out of here because it has snowed all day here….pretty much non-stop.  While it is beautiful….I have so much to do today, and I can’t be trapped in the house!  I need to go get a Christmas tree and some lights so I can start decorating!  Hopefully tomorrow……Right now I am feeling immense pressure because I know that many of my neighbors have their holiday decorations up, and it kills me not to be the first.  Of course, had I been back in California, I would have had to decorate right after Labor Day to beat my sister, Lexie.

Anyhoo, I did make a mean batch of turkey enchiladas with my left-over turkey, and I am fully prepared to share that recipe with you.  Right now.  I promise.  I shall never let you down again.  At least not for a couple of weeks.
I started with….leftover turkey…..duh.  I made a 22 pound turkey, so I have a huge amount of leftovers.  I always have high hopes for my guests devouring the turkey, but all my friends and family seem to be “sides” people.  But I digress…..I used about 3 heaping cups of shredded turkey.  I also used a softened, 8 ounce, brick of cream cheese and a 7 ounce can of chopped green chilies.
I also stirred in 2 10 ¾ ounce cans of nacho cheese soup.  I mixed all of this very thoroughly.
Please pretend you don’t see my chipped nail polish if you would like us to remain friends.  It’s been a busy few days, and who has suffered the most?  My nails.
I used flour tortillas (soft taco size) for my enchiladas for two reasons.  One-they won’t break on you when rolling, and two-I like flour better.  You can use corn, but if you are eating at my house, you will get flour.  And like it. 

I used about ¼ cup of filling in each tortilla.  Once rolled, they were placed in a 13x9 pan.  I poured about ½ a cup of green enchilada (canned) sauce into the bottom of the pan first, then I got my roll on, until the pan was full.  Really squeeze those bad boys in.  This will make enough filling for 2 13x9 pans, so this recipe is perfect to freeze!
Once the pan was filled, I poured green enchilada sauce over the entire thing.  2 pans will need about 6 cups, altogether.
Just in case these weren’t cheesy and gooey enough, I also topped each pan with about 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese.  I baked one pan in a 350 degree, preheated, oven for about 45 minutes.  If you are going to freeze, don’t bake.  Freeze from an un-baked state.
Yeah!  Cheesy goodness that makes you forget you are STILL eating turkey!!
Some other ideas for your leftovers:
Leftover cranberry sauce?  If it is of the sweet variety, bake it into cranberry bread or muffins.
Left-over mashed potatoes?  Stir in a couple of eggs, cheese and bread crumbs and fry them up to make potato croquettes.
Leftover squash or sweet potatoes?  If it doesn’t have nuts, marshmallows, etc. stir in chicken stock, heat through, and serve it as soup.
Leftover rolls?  Bread pudding!
Leftover pie?  Eat it, you fool.

Turkey Enchiladas Verde
3 cups shredded turkey, light or dark meat
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
7 ounces green chilies, chopped
2 10 ¾ ounce cans nacho cheese soup
24 flour tortillas, soft taco size
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded

Mix together turkey, cream cheese, chilies, and soup.  Place about ¼ cup into each tortilla and roll tightly.  Place in 2 13x9s that you have already poured ½ cup of enchilada sauce in the bottom of each.  Fill pans.  Top with sauce and cheese.
Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for about 45 to 55 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share