logo

logo

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Best Ever Apple Cake

Originally posted 10/29/10

Happy Nevada Day! 
You might not have noticed, but this post is late.  I usually try to have my new posts up first thing in the morning.  Since today is Nevada Day (which means no school), I slept in and had a hard time getting up and at ‘em.  For those of you that know me, you know I hate to be late.  I am super punctual.  I get that from my dad.  We are a punctual people.  If you tell me a party starts at 7pm, I will be knocking on your door at 6:55pm.  If we are supposed to be leaving the house at 9am, you can bet I will be in the car, honking for you to hurry, at 8:55am.  Some may find this annoying….I just think it’s good manners;)  But back to my main point, I hate to be late….and I apologize profusely for this post being late.  I like to think that you all are sitting at your computers….waiting for my post.  What?  You’re not?  Oh well, here it is anyway….;)

Today I am going to show you how to make the BEST EVER Apple Cake.  I swear it is that good.  I love the taste of anything with cinnamon, honey and apples in it when it is slightly cool out and approaching Thanksgiving.  Plus, I still have a bazillion apples left from my Apple Hill trip.  To start, here is a picture of what you will need…

I have 2 sticks of butter(room temp), 1 ½ cups of sugar, ½ cup honey, 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract, 4 eggs, 2 ½ cups flour (1 ½ cups all purpose flour and 1 cup cake flour), ½ teaspoon baking powder, ¼ teaspoon salt and 1 tablespoon apple pie spice.  And oh yeah, the main ingredient….2 chopped apples.  I will also be using Gourmet Rooster’s Whiskey Apple Spread when serving the cake. 
To start, I creamed the butter, sugar and honey together, with a hand mixer, until light and fluffy.  This will take a couple of minutes.  Then add the eggs and mix well.  I have heard chefs say “add the eggs on at a time” or “break the eggs into a separate dish to make sure they are good eggs.”  You know what??  In all my years of cooking…..I have never come across a “bad egg.”  Maybe I live dangerously, but I break the eggs right into my bowl.  Why dirty another dish?  I also put all the eggs in at once.  I am crazy like that.
In a separate bowl, mix together your dry ingredients: flour, salt, baking powder and apple pie spice.  Ignore my weird sausage-like hand…..
Add you dry ingredients into your wet ingredients, about 1/3 at a time.  Mix well.
Stir your chopped apples into the batter.  Mix well, again.
Pour into a greased pan.  And by pour, I mean scoop as this is a thick batter.  It is super soft from the cake flour.  I love the way cake flour makes cakes super light.  I am using 2 foil pans because I plan on giving away one cake as a gift.  I used 2 8x8 pans, but you can totally use a 13x9 pan instead.  This cake bakes at 350 degrees for about 55 minutes for a 13x9 or 35 to 45 minutes for 2 8x8 pans.  If you test the cake with a toothpick, the pick will come out clean when the cake is done.
                                                                                     
This is how I serve the cake….heated and topped with Whiskey Apple Spread (available for purchase on my website).  So good, I could easily eat the whole pan…but then I would probably explode.  And nobody wants that.


Best ever Apple Cake
2 sticks butter, softened
1 ½ cups sugar
½ cup honey
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 eggs
2 ½ cups flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon apple pie spice
2 medium apples, chopped

Cream together butter, sugar and honey.  Add eggs, mix well with hand mixer.
In separate bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt, and apple pie spice.
Mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients with hand mixer.  Stir in chopped apples.
Pour into greased 13x9 pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 55 minutes. 
Serve warm with Whiskey Apple Spread poured over the top.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Share