logo

logo

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Halloween For the Grown-ups

Originally posted 10/27/10

Today is going to be quickie!  I am super busy filling orders, packing up boxes, and going to the post office.  Keep those orders coming!  I love sending them out!;)

Who’s ready for a drink?  If you are having a Halloween party, or just really want a good cocktail….I have what you need.  I have a great recipe for a Pumpkin Spice Martini.  I created this last year for the adults, before we all went out trick or treating.  It was a hit!  I am also including a “virgin” version for the little ones….

For the martini, you will need vanilla vodka, pumpkin spice syrup, heavy cream or half and half, food coloring, black sprinkles and marshmallow ghosts.  For the kiddy version you will use vanilla soda or cream soda in place of the vodka, I hope;)  Pumpkin Spice Syrup is pretty easy to find during the fall.  I bought mine at Cost Plus.  Last year, I used Pumpkin Spice Liquor, but that is really impossible to find this year.  I didn’t want to send you on a wild goose chase.

I start by rimming my glasses with black sprinkles, you know, the glittery type.  I wouldn’t use the large sprinkles because they won’t stick.
Fill a shallow bowl with vanilla vodka and another with black sprinkles.  Dip whatever glass you are using in the vodka and then in the sprinkles.  I wouldn’t use water in place of vodka.  You really need something with a bit more oomph to make the sprinkles stick.  (Did I seriously just use the word “oomph”?)  I used my good martini glasses to make it fancy.  For the kids cups, use a bit of soda to get your sprinkles to stick.
Next, put all of your ingredients in a cocktail shaker filled with ice (the recipe will follow).  If you don’t have a cocktail shaker, you clearly haven’t seen Swingers.  You can always use a pitcher filled with ice.  When you pour, make sure to strain out the ice.


To garnish, use whatever cute marshmallow Halloween candy you can find.  I used ghosts.  I slit them up from the bottom so that they would balance on the glasses.  I also made “gravestones” out of black cardstock to tie on the glasses.  This way, everyone will know what drink belongs to whom.  Aren’t they cute?  And they are soooo good.  You can use this recipe all through fall, maybe just minus the ghosts.

I used plastic cups for the little ones…..for obvious reasons.  I also mixed the kiddy version in a pitcher as soda and a cocktail shaker wouldn’t be the best idea.  My kids loved this drink, and they were so excited to have their very own “mocktail.”

I hope you try these recipes.  I firmly believe that trick or treating should start with a good cocktail….for the adults.  I find walking the streets, in the cold, much more enjoyable after a cocktail…….

Pumpkin Spice Martini
1 cup Vanilla Vodka
¼ cup Pumpkin Spice Syrup
¼ cup Heavy Cream
2 drops red food coloring
2 drops yellow food coloring
Black sprinkles
Marshmallow ghosts

Pour vodka, syrup, cream and food coloring into a cocktail shaker filled with ice.  Shake well.  Serves 2

Pumpkin Spice Soda
1 bottle Vanilla or Cream Soda
½ cup Pumpkin Spice Syrup
¼ cup Heavy Cream
2 drops red food coloring
2 drops yellow food coloring
Black sprinkles
Marshmallow ghosts

Pour soda, syrup, cream and food coloring into a pitcher filled with ice.  Pour into glasses, straining out ice.  Serves 2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share