logo

logo

Monday, March 7, 2011

You Did What With Pringles?

Originally posted 12/1/10

Good afternoon everybody!  As promised, today I have an easy and quick handmade gift idea.  Every year, I make cookies, candy and other handmade goodies for friends and family.  I am always looking for clever packaging ideas.  You know, beyond the usual red paper bag or paper plate wrapped in holiday cellophane.  I have always been a saver of random containers, and this year I put them to work.  And by “saver”, I mean I borderline on hoarder.  I save Pringles containers; I used to save formula containers, random jars, crystal light containers, and even the containers that berries come in.  I don’t mean hoarder in the sense that I save old newspapers and dead cats, but I do save enough that it makes my husband mad.  But I find a way to use ‘em! 
This year, I took my saved Pringles cans and dressed them up in several different ways.  These cans are the perfect size for cookies and candies.  And, you can ship them, in a box, and not worry about the cookies and candies getting crushed and ruined.  Plus, they have a lid…..super handy.
Now one thing I want to remind you of…..every craft that I do will be relatively quick and easy.  Don’t ever worry that it will be too hard, because if it was hard, I wouldn’t have done it in the first place.  I will never use equipment that most people don’t have, with the exception of a hot glue gun.  I will never use a sewing machine, or any of the other fancy machines that cut vinyl or paper that you get at the craft store for over $100.
Good, now that I have gotten that off my back….on with the Pringles.
For my first can, I used lots of different holiday themes ribbon.  I made sure the can was washed out, thoroughly.  Especially if the can housed pizza or sour cream and onion flavored Pringles.  You can also sprinkle the insides with baking soda to soak up any lingering smell.  Just rinse the can prior to filling with goodies…..obviously.  But I digress…..I used my hot glue gun to adhere the ribbon onto the can.  I LOVE the glittery ribbon, as I am a sucker for anything glittery. 
I used a piece of ric-rac to hide the seam in the back.  And no, my ric-rac line isn’t crooked.  Your eyes must be playing tricks on you as I don’t make mistakes;)  The ribbon is all from Wal-Mart and it was super cheap.  I didn’t stick to a pattern.  I thought it was more “whimsical” this way, but my husband disagreed.  He likes things to be in an orderly fashion.  So that is really your choice, but I love the way the ribbon looks on the can.  Super easy and super cute.  This can would dress up any cookie.  You could totally buy cookies, put them in the can, and your gift receiver would be so distracted by the cuteness of the can that they wouldn’t even notice the store-boughtiness of the cookies.  And yes, I said “store-boughtiness”.
For my next can, I used glittery yarn that I purchased at……Wal-Mart.  Yes, I spend a lot of time there.  Look for me on “People of Wal-Mart.com”;)  I wrapped the yarn around and only glued about every two inches on the back.  You don’t even need to cover up the glue spots on this, as it blends pretty seamlessly.  I dressed it up with a pretty bow on top.  Again, no pattern here……anything to frustrate my husband.
For my next can, I mixed things up and used a can that used to house French fried onions.  So yes, I soaked the bejeesus out of that one with baking soda.  I decoupage using “Mod Podge” which is a glue that is used just for decoupage.  Decoupage just means that you are gluing different shapes and sizes of all sorts of different kinds of paper onto something until it looks almost as if it has been painted on.  I used a children’s Christmas book.  I cut out random pieces and made sure to cover the entire can.  I used ric-rac around the top, and finished with another coat of “Mod Podge” to make it shiny.  You can use regular white glue that has been thinned with a bit of water if you don’t want to buy Mod Podge.  Keep reading for the cookie recipe for the cookies in this can……
For my final can, which Addy was so kind to decorate for me, I used my fave…..chalkboard spray paint!  I sprayed the can with two coats, and it completely covered the label on the can.  I gave Addy the chalkboard pens (Available at any craft store) and let ‘er rip.  Isn’t her writing getting good??  I feel that this version has so many possibilities.  You can write what is in the can, who it is for, who it is from, holiday wishes, etc.  Again, super easy and super cute!

Wondering what to do with all of those Pringles?  You can dip them in chocolate!  They are a yummy sweet and salty treat.  And, of course, they will stack perfectly in the cans. 
I bought some chocolate candy coating….the kind that melts in the microwave in its own tray.  I dipped the Pringles, part way, and set them out to harden.  You could also embellish them with sprinkles and candies.  I think they look really good just plain.  Remember to use plain Pringles;)
There are so many things you can put in these cans.  If you bake cookies, remember to make them a bit smaller then you normally would, as the diameter of the can is not that big.  Candy such as truffles would be a great option too.  I will give some more candy and cookie ideas in the following weeks, but for now I will give you my new favorite cookie recipe.  I created it using Cherry Cordial M&M’s, which are seasonal and available now.

Chocolate Cherry Cookies
1 cup of butter (2 sticks), softened
¼ cup brown sugar
½ cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ cup Cherry Cordial M&M’s

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
With a hand mixer, beat softened butter, brown sugar and sugar together until creamy.  Add egg and vanilla and beat until mixed.
In a separate bowl, stir together flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.  Slowly add the dry mixture to the butter mixture, while beating with a hand mixer.
Stir in the M&Ms.
Using a teaspoon, drop dough onto an ungreased baking sheet.  Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.  Will make 3 dozen small cookies.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Share