logo

logo

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Pumpkin Goat Cheese Dip


I love pumpkin bread.  And pumpkin spice lattes.  And pumpkin scented candles.  Really anything pumpkin.  I really do love the fall because it is all pumpkin, all the time. 

I found myself with an extra can of pumpkin this weekend after baking pumpkin bread.  I could never let a good can of pumpkin go to waste, but I wanted something new.  I didn’t want anything sweet.  Chris was watching some sort of sporting game on TV (I really don’t pay too much attention), and he requested chips and dip.  I decided to throw together some stuff I already had and make a Pumpkin Goat Cheese Dip.  I figured it would be good.  I never figured it would be one of the best things I have ever eaten…..and it really was.  Holy cow, this dip was amazing.

I will show you how to make it in just a sec.  But first, I have to again tell you how good this dip was.  If it was legal, I would marry it.  I really considered bathing in it.  It was also easy.  Everything went in the food processor. 

You will love this dip.  It should have a spot at your Thanksgiving dinner.

 

I started by roasting a whole head of garlic, and one shallot.  I cut the top off the garlic, and then drizzled it with olive oil, salt and pepper.  I gathered the whole thing up in a foil ball and roasted it for 35 minutes at 400 degrees.

I also quartered my shallot (and peeled it….duh), and drizzled it with olive oil, salt and pepper.  I just let the shallot lie on foil….I didn’t bundle it up in a ball.  I roasted the shallot for about half the time of the garlic, about 15 minutes.

 

For the dip part of this, I used cream cheese, goat cheese, garlic salt, black pepper and the canned pumpkin I kept talking about before.

 

Once my garlic and shallots were roasted, I tossed them in the food processor.  It’s almost dip time.

 

I also added my cream cheese and goat cheese, which were both at room temperature.  The pumpkin went in, along with some more salt and pepper.

I blended this until everything was smooth.

 

My final step was to toast up some slivered almonds for the top of the dip. I always feel that a smooth dip needs something crunchy on top.

I toasted these in a dry skillet until they were toasty and brown.  You will smell them when they are done.

 

I can’t say enough good things about this dip.  Chris and I were licking the bowl, and we might have had a slap fight over the last bite. 
The goat cheese and cream cheese go so well with the pumpkin.  It is creamy, smooth and full of roasted garlic goodness.

 

The best fall appetizer ever?  I think so!

 

Please make this.  Please.  I want you to share the joy.

Pumpkin Goat Cheese Dip

1 head garlic

1 shallot

1 tablespoon olive oil

½ teaspoon salt, divided

½ teaspoon black pepper, divided

6 ounces goat cheese, room temperature

8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature

1 cup canned pumpkin

¼ cup slivered almonds, toasted

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Cut the top off of the head of garlic, and peel and quarter the shallot.  Place both on a foil lined baking sheet.  Drizzle with olive oil and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper.  Gather foil around garlic to create a ball.  Roast at 400 degrees.  Shallot will roast for 15 minutes and garlic will roast for 35 minutes.  Set aside to cool.

Squeeze roasted garlic into the bowl of a food processor.  Add shallot, goat cheese, cream cheese, pumpkin and remaining salt and pepper.  Blend until smooth.

Top with toasted almonds and serve with crudité and crackers.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share