logo

logo

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Pizza Party!


My family, like every other red blooded family in America, loves pizza.  Thankfully, we now live in an area where we can pizza delivered when mama doesn’t feel like cooking.  But….we used to live where you couldn’t get anyone to deliver a pizza.  It was like torture.  How is it possible in this day and age to live somewhere in the USA and not be able to get pizza delivered?  I asked myself that question frequently.

Since I couldn’t have someone bring my lazy butt a pizza, I had to make my own.  Yes, I could have driven down the mountain and picked one up, but re-read the first sentence of this paragraph.  Yep, lazy.  Too lazy to drive anywhere. 

On the bright side, I got pretty good at making pizza.  Don’t get too excited…I don’t make my own crust or anything.  My Raley’s has fresh pizza dough that you can buy.  It is great!  It the perfect size and couldn’t be easier.  Today I am going to show you how to make two of my favorites….a stuffed crust pizza and a Roasted Garlic White Pizza.  Yum!

 

I will start with my stuffed crust pizza.  I rolled out my pizza dough first.  And I didn’t do such a hot job, but with homemade pizza….shape isn’t that important.

 

As you can see from the picture above, I am using string cheese to stuff m crust.  It is the perfect thing to use.  I cut each piece in half lengthwise and then in half across.

String cheese is the perfect shape, I had it on hand, and it melts beautifully.  This really is the easiest way to make stuffed crust pizza.

 

I used a smidge of water to seal the edges after I flipped the edges of the dough over the cheese.

 

For this pizza, I just topped it with pizza sauce and mozzarella cheese.  This one was for my kids and they love plain cheese pizza.  Kids are really boring.

 

This baked up perfectly!  Although you can see one part on the top where the string cheese leaked out….no biggie. 

 

Yummers!  The kids love when I make this.

 

See the cheese in there?  Like I said above, string cheese really is the perfect cheese to use here.  This makes the pizza so much more exciting.  Yep, it doesn’t take much to excite me.

On to my white pizza…..

 

I started by roasting a whole head of garlic.  I cut the top off, placed it on foil, drizzled it with olive oil, salt and pepper, and then I wrapped the whole thing up in a big foil ball.  I roasted this for 30 minutes on 400.

 

Once the garlic was roasted, I squeezed it out of the shell (that doesn’t sound right…the head?) and mixed it with a container of ricotta cheese.  I also added a smoosh more salt and pepper.

 

Once again, I imperfectly rolled out a pizza crust.  This time, I smeared a little olive oil on the top and popped this in the oven for a few minutes to brown the crust up.  This is different than my stuffed crust pizza which didn’t cook until AFTER it had its toppings.

 

Once the crust came out of the oven, I spread the ricotta/garlic mixture all over.  Then, I placed fresh mozzarella strategically over the top.  I say “strategically” because I really do want prime melty cheese coverage.

 

Next came tomatoes and parmesan cheese.

I baked this, again, for just a few minutes.  I just wanted to melt the cheese this time.

 

Once the pizza was done, I topped it with some basil.

 
This was the perfect “grown-up” pizza, although to be honest, I am pretty sure that Chris ate the majority of both, grown up or not.  But I can see why.  Both pizzas were delicious.  Personally, I loved the roasted garlic in the White Pizza…..

These recipes helped me through the dark days of no pizza delivery.  I hope they can help you too;)

Roasted Garlic White Pizza

One ball of pizza dough

1 Tablespoon olive oil

1 head of garlic, roasted with olive oil, salt and pepper

15 ounces ricotta cheese, part skim

½ teaspoon salt

½ teaspoon black pepper

8 ounces fresh mozzarella

2 tomatoes, sliced

¼ cup parmesan cheese

¼ cup basil, torn

Preheat oven to 425 degrees, or follow directions for pre-heating on your pizza dough’s package.

Roll out pizza dough to desired shape.  Place on lightly oiled pizza pan.  Drizzle remaining oil over the top of the crust.  Bake at 425 for 11 minutes.

Mix ricotta cheese with roasted garlic, salt and pepper.  Smear over baked crust.  Top with mozzarella, tomatoes, and parmesan cheese.  Bake for an additional 5 minutes at 425.

Top baked pizza with basil.

Serves 4-6

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share