logo

logo

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Shrimp and Avocado Pasta Salad


Hi all.  I hope everyone had a fantastic Mother’s Day and treated their mom right.  My mom was here for the weekend, and we had a great time!  She got to gamble a little bit, which she loves.  I, on the other hand, do not.  I basically went through $10 in 10 pulls of the slot machine.  Then, I was out of money….or so I thought.  I moved to another machine and someone had left a 95 cent voucher.  I got to play a few more hands of nickel poker.  Hey big spender!  I might as well of just handed the Grand Sierra my $10 when I walked in the door.  It would have been easier.

So the weather is really nice here, and it reminded me that Memorial Day is quickly approaching.  Most people I know like to have BBQs on Memorial Day.  Or “Grill Out”, I guess….depending on what part of the country you are from.  I have a recipe today that will be great with anything that you BBQ.  It is an Avocado and Shrimp Pasta Salad.  It is super easy to make, and little bit different than your typical pasta salad because the dressing has avocado and cilantro in it.  Yum!  I will show you how I make it.



Whoa!  Watch the glare;)

I used a one pound box of mini farfalle.  You can use any type of pasta that you like for pasta salads.  I like one that holds sauce well, like farfalle.  Don’t use a variety that is too smooth….everything will slide right off of it.

Cook the pasta according to package directions.  When you drain it, rinse the pasta with cold water to cool it off.



Aside from the dressing, the ingredients for this salad are red onion, chopped tomatoes, white corn, salad shrimp and pepper jack cheese.

I used frozen white corn.  I defrosted it…obviously.

Notice that my cheese is a Safeway brand.  I had to go to Sparks the other day to handle a Real Estate issue, and I almost peed my pants when I saw a Safeway.  I swear I just about moved to Sparks strictly because it has a Safeway.  I love me some Safeway.




I added the ingredients to the cooled pasta and mixed.  Now it just needs dressing.

This salad really kicks ass with its mix of corn, shrimp and cheese.  The onions and salad aren’t half bad either.




For the dressing, which is the best part of this salad, I used an avocado, mayo, cilantro, garlic salt and lime juice.  It is like a creamy guacamole spread all over a delicious salad.



All the ingredients got a ride in the food processor until they were pretty smooth.

Remember, avocados should be immediately coated in lime juice so don’t let your avocados sit.  They also require a ton of salt…so be generous.



Creamy, slightly sour from the limes, and totally delicious.  I love the briny taste of the shrimp in this too.  If you are grilling shrimp….skip the salad shrimp and add grilled shrimp.  You will pee in your pants.



Yum!  Invite me to your Memorial Day BBQ.  I will bring this.

Shrimp and Avocado Pasta Salad

1 pound macaroni, cooked, drained and rinsed with cold water

1 cup salad shrimp, defrosted

1 cup tomatoes, chopped

½ cup red onion, chopped

1 cup corn

4 ounces pepper jack cheese, diced

1 avocado

2 tablespoons cilantro, leaves only

2 tablespoons lime juice

2 teaspoons garlic salt

½ cup mayonnaise



In a large bowl, gently mix together pasta, tomatoes, shrimp, onion, corn and pepper jack cheese.

In a food processor, blend together avocado, cilantro, lime juice, garlic salt and mayo.  Pour dressing over salad and mix gently.  Chill until ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share