logo

logo

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Roasted Red Pepper and Garlic Stuffed Mushrooms

Hi everyone!  I'm so excited because cheerleading starts again for the season today!  Not for me, although that would be rad.  But for Addy.  I wish I was a cheerleader, even at my advanced age, but my high school friends would tell you that I am way to spastic to ever cheer. 
Anyhoo, I love cheer because I love watching her do something she loves, I love the coaches and other moms, and I just love the whole spirit of small town (kinda) football.  So before I take Addy to day one of cheer camp, let me give you a quick recipe.
People are always asking me what to do with my Gourmet Rooster savory spreads.  Seriously, every Farmer's Market, I get at least 5 people asking me what to do with them.  The savory spreads are great on sandwiches, with cheese & crackers, with meats, etc.  You just have to use your imagination.  What would you want to put onions on or in?  Or roasted red peppers?  Just sub in one of my spreads and you have the perfect flavor!  They are super easy to use....they are already cooked and seasoned to perfection.
Today I am going to show you a really easy recipe featuring my Roasted Red Pepper and Garlic Spread.  I have shown you a recipe for stuffed mushrooms before....
http://gourmetrooster.blogspot.com/2011/11/thanksgiving-countdown-starts-now-today.html
Today's recipe is a twist on that recipe.  I still use ground sausage and I still use a creamy cheese, but I am using Roasted Red Pepper and Garlic Spread which will give these stuffed mushrooms an really different, but amazing flavor.
These will be your go-to appetizer.  I swear.
For this recipe (the stuffing), I used sage flavored bulk sausage, Philadelphia Cooking Creme (plain flavored), Roasted Red Pepper and Garlic Spread, Parmesan cheese and chives.
This recipe is super easy....it even has very few ingredients.  Perfect for a quick app.
I also used plain white button mushrooms.  I bought mine out of the bulk bin because I wanted big ones.  The pretty, already cleaned ones aren't big enough.  I wish they were because I hate cleaning mushrooms.
But here I am cleaning my mushrooms.....
I used a clean, damp towel.  Don't run them under the faucet....this will make them tough.
I also pulled the stem out of each mushroom.  This will give you the perfect well to fill with stuffing.
I threw my stems away.  They really aren't good for anything.
I started my filling by browning up the sausage.  This goes fast.  You've done this before, right?
Next, I added my cream cheese.  You can use regular cream cheese or cooking creme.  They taste the same.
I let this melt into the hot sausage.
Then, I added the Roasted Red Pepper spread.  At this point, the mixture will seem kind of soupy.  I let mine simmer for a few minutes to thicken up a bit.
Plus, I accidentally ate about half of the filling at this point.  It is that good.
I stuffed each mushroom with filling.  FYI-I had placed my mushrooms in a baking dish that I had lightly sprayed with cooking spray.
I also topped each shroom with Parmesan cheese.  I love the way this makes a crust when baked.  The parm is a must.
Finally, I sprinkled chives on the top of each mushroom.  Now this part is totally up to you.  I like to add my chives before baking because I like the way they get crispy in the oven.  You can do that, or you can add them as soon as you take the shrooms out of the oven.  The chives will add a fresh oniony taste if you add them after baking.  Your choice.
I baked these at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes.
Delicious!  And such a fun and cute little appetizer!  The sausage is yummy, the spread is sweet and the cheese is creamy.  And the Parmesan cheese and chives are magic on the tops.
These are the perfect little cocktail party appetizer.  Or dinner if you eat a plate of 10.  Like I did.
You know you want this.

I will see you on Thursday!  Off to cheer....maybe they will let me learn the routine;)

Roasted Red Pepper and Garlic Stuffed Mushrooms
24 whole white button mushrooms
½ pound pork sausage
4 ounces cream cheese
½ cup Gourmet Rooster Roasted Red Pepper and Garlic Spread
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons chives, chopped
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Prep mushrooms by wiping them with a damp cloth. Pull out stems and discard. With a paring knife or spoon, make each hole a little bit bigger.

In a large skillet, brown sausage over medium high heat. Once sausage is browned, about 5 minutes, add cream cheese, salt and red pepper spread. Mix well and simmer over medium heat for about 3 minutes.

Fill each mushroom cap with sausage mixture, about 1 teaspoon each. Top each cap with Parmesan cheese and chives.

Bake at 400 degrees for 17 to 20 minutes or until tops are slightly brown and bubbly.

Makes 24.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Share