logo

logo

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Pulled Pork BBQ Enchiladas


Good morning!  I am up and at ‘em early today.  Well, early for me.  The girls have been sleeping late since they are out of school so it is hard to motivate to do anything in the morning.  Mostly, I watch Sons of Anarchy on Netflix while I wait for them to wake up.  Have you watched it?  It is an amazing show.  I can’t believe it took me this long to start watching it.  God bless the good people at Netflix.

Back to food…..My mom showed me this amazing find from Costco about a year or so ago.  I never really go to Costco for the same reasons I try not to go to Target.  I spend way too.  Also, who needs 150 yogurt cups.  I guess if I had a huge family I could see going more often, but a family of 4 probably doesn’t need to hit the Costco too often. 

Anyway, this is the amazing find….the goods, if you will;)



Have you had this?  It is pulled pork that you just have to re-heat in the microwave.  It is smoky and tender with little bits of charred pieces throughout.  You add your own sauce, so this just screamed out to me.  I happen to have access to some pretty good BBQ sauce.

I bought some last week, and I decided to try a new recipe with it.  I made Pulled Pork BBQ Enchiladas, and they were amazing.  They are the perfect meal to feed a crowd, and they also freeze like a champ.  This would be such a great meal to give to a new mom or someone else that deserves a good hearty meal.  Let me show you how I made them.



Besides the pulled pork, I also used corn, black beans, shredded cheese and red onion.



And tortillas, enchilada sauce and Gourmet Rooster Smokehouse Bacon BBQ Sauce.

I know that corn tortillas are typically used in enchiladas.  I use flour for two reasons.  The first is that I like flour tortillas better.  My kitchen, my rules;)  Second, I think that enchiladas are easier to make with flour tortillas.  They roll better.  Corn tortillas fall apart so easily and when you make enchiladas with them you have to dip the tortillas in oil and enchilada sauce just to make them pliable.  With flour, you skip those steps.  I’m all about ease.  I think that is due to my extreme laziness.  Seriously, I’m lazy.  I’m having a hard time even writing this when I could be watching Sons of Anarchy;)

I kid.  I love to write for you.



In this bowl is corn, black beans, cheese and BBQ sauce.  I used a can of corn.  If you are super fresh and natural, feel free to use fresh corn.  Again, I’m lazy.  But I did manage to rinse my beans and drain my corn.  Just barely.



Next, I added about half the package of pulled pork and mixed.  This pork smells heavenly.  You would never know that I didn’t have this outside in a smoker for 8 hours.  Well, you would know if you were in my backyard seeing as though I don’t have a smoker.  But you get my point.





Mixed.



I also whisked together a can of enchilada sauce and more BBQ sauce.  If I wasn’t feeding kids I would have probably gone with Smoky Chipotle BBQ sauce, but Smokehouse Bacon is an excellent choice too.



I used a 13x9 pan for these enchiladas.  I lined my pan with foil for easier clean-up.  I poured enough of my enchilada/BBQ sauce in the bottom of the pan to cover it.  Since my tortillas don’t get dipped in the sauce, I need sauce on the top and bottom to make the enchiladas nice and enchilada-ey.



Now I’m ready to roll, literally and figuratively.  I spooned filling down the side of a tortilla, probably about ¼ to ½ a cup.  You will see when I show you my full pan that I was a little aggressive on the first….it is fatter than the rest.  You will find your rhythm.



See?  Fatty on the left. 

I packed about 8 into my pan.  I came out pretty even as I only had a smidge of filling left.  I ate that to take care of that problem.



I poured the remaining sauce all over the top, making sure to cover everything.  I sprinkled cheese over that, and then red onion over the cheese.

At this point, you can cover the whole thing tightly with foil and freeze.  When you are ready to bake, just let it sit out on your counter all day to defrost.

I was ready to eat, so I baked mine right away.  I baked this, covered with foil, for 30 minutes.  Then, I removed the foil and baked an additional 20 minutes.

These smelled amazing.  I could smell the BBQ deliciousness, but also the Mexican flavors. 



Yum.  These turned out even better than I was hoping for.  They smoky BBQ sauce works so well with the pork and enchilada sauce.  This was definitely a welcome change from plain enchiladas.



Chris loved it….my kids loved it…..Of course, I loved it.  It is food after all.



For you purists, you can make this with corn tortillas, but give flour a shot.  It is easier, and I think better.  You all know where to get Gourmet Rooster BBQ sauce now, right?

Pulled Pork BBQ Enchiladas

1 pound Kirkland Smoked Pulled Pork

15 ¼ ounces corn, drained

15 ½ ounces black beans, rinsed and drained

3 cups shredded Mexican Blend Cheese, divided

2 cups Gourmet Rooster Smokehouse Bacon BBQ Sauce, divided

28 ounces Enchilada Sauce

½ cup red onion, chopped

8-10 flour tortillas

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.

In a mixing bowl, stir together pork, corn, black beans, 1 cup of BBQ sauce and 1 ½ cups of cheese.  Set aside.

Line a 13x9 pan with foil.  Whisk together enchilada sauce and remaining BBQ sauce.  Pour enough sauce into the bottom of the pan to completely cover.

Fill each tortilla with about ¼ cup to ½ a cup of filling and roll tightly.  Fill pan with rolled and filled tortillas.  Cover with remaining sauce.  Sprinkle on remaining cheese and red onion. 

Bake enchiladas, covered with foil, at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.  Remove foil and bake an additional 20 minutes.  Let cool slightly before serving.
Makes 8-10 enchiladas

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share