logo

logo

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

"Top Secret" Gourmet Rooster


Hi guys!  I have something huge for you today.  I am giving you a “top secret” Gourmet Rooster recipe.  This is the recipe that started it all…..Sundried Tomato Jam, and it is ,by far, my favorite.  This is the recipe that got the ball rolling and made me decide to go into business.  Why don’t I carry it at Gourmet Rooster?  Well…..some recipes just don’t make it to market.  That was the case with this.  It has a long cook time, expensive-ish ingredients, and it just didn’t go from a small amount to a commercial amount well.  But….it remains my favorite, and I decided it was high time I shared it with you.  It is so good that I just can’t leave it for only me.

This is a pretty easy recipe to make.  It takes a bit of time, but it is so worth it.  Let me show you how I do it….



I start by roasting a whole head of garlic.  I just cut the top off and lay the whole thing down on foil.  I drizzled it with olive oil and sprinkled it with salt and pepper.  Then, I made a tight bundle and popped it in the oven for 30 minutes on 400 degrees.

Meanwhile….



I also used olive oil, a whole onion, chicken broth, sundried tomatoes packed in oil, red wine vinegar, brown sugar, white sugar and some water that didn’t quite make the picture.

I chose the tomatoes packed in oil because I think they have a better flavor and texture.  This, my friends, is what made this recipe too expensive to bring to market.



I start the recipe by cooking the onions in a bit of olive oil for about 15 minutes.  The onions will have just started to caramelize.  Once they do, I throw in the sundried tomatoes, which have been drained, and the roasted garlic.  The garlic will squeeze right out of the carcass like a paste once it is cooked.

If your sundried tomatoes are in huge pieces, chop them up a bit.  This will become a “jam” at the end and smaller pieces are better.



Once the garlic and tomatoes had been stirred in, I added the broth, vinegar, water, white sugar and brown sugar.  I also added a smidge more salt and pepper.  That is totally to your taste. 

This mixture gets brought to a boil, covered, and cooked for 30 minutes over medium heat.  Go about your business…watch TV, take a nap, go for a walk, look on Pinterest, etc.



That is my jam…boiling.
Actually, that isn't "my jam".  My jam is Push-It by Salt & Pepa;)

Once it has simmered for a full 30 minutes, take off the lid and continue cooking the jam until it is jam-like….about 15 minutes.  Stir frequently.  You will be surprised how quickly this goes from a soupy concoction to jam.  The sugars caramelize and everything reduces and gets nice and sticky.



My absolute favorite way to eat this jam is on toasted baguette slices with goat cheese.  I sliced my baguette and threw it in the oven to brown up.



I spread goat cheese on the toasted slices.  I love cheese.  Have I mentioned that? 



Then, I top the goat cheese with my yummy jam.  This jam is sweet and savory at the same time.  You can taste the sweetness of the onions, the saltiness of the tomatoes, the tang of the vinegar, etc.  It is perfection in one bite.



This jam is great on sandwiches, chicken breast, steak, fish, or just straight out of the jar.  I wish I could carry this and sell it to all of you, but I will have to just imagine that you are all making it at home and loving it;)

Roasted Garlic and Sun-Dried Tomato Jam

1 Head of Garlic, roasted

2 T. Olive Oil

1 Small Onion, (about 8 oz.), thinly sliced

8 oz. Chopped Sun-Tomatoes in oil, drained

2 T. White Sugar

2 T. Brown Sugar

¼ Cup Red Wine Vinegar

1 Cup Water

½ Cup Chicken Broth

½ tsp. Salt



To roast garlic:

Cut about ¼ inch off the top of the head, to reveal cloves inside.  Drizzle with 1 T. of olive oil and wrap in foil.  Roast at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes.  Unwrap foil and let cool.



Sauté (on medium-high) onion in remaining olive oil until they start to caramelize, about 15 minutes.  Squeeze in roasted garlic and add tomatoes.  Mix well.  Add remaining ingredients and mix well.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.  Remove cover and simmer until jam-like, about 15 to 20 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share