logo

logo

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Super Bowl 2013!


Are you ready for some football?  My husband is.  I’m ready for some Super Bowl food!  I admit it…I’m not the world’s biggest football fan, but I am excited for this Super Bowl.  Because the Forty-Niners are playing!  As much as I love my adopted “home” state of Nevada, I can’t forget my Bay Area (CA) roots.  I was born and raised in the San Francisco Bay Area so I think it’s a rule that I have to cheer for the ‘Niners.  And it makes it even better that Colin Kaepernick is the quarterback.  It’s like the best CA/NV combination.

I plan my Super Bowl menu way in advance.  Is that weird?  I think it’s because to me, this is a day all about food.  As I mentioned above, I’m not that into football.  But I can get on board with a day that is all about everyone coming together, watching TV and eating until we are stuffed.  Everyone else can watch football.  I’ll watch the food.

My menu this year is one of my best, I think.  I am planning a “Chili Bar”.  I will have a big pot of chili in my slow cooker as the “anchor” of my buffet.  I will have all the usual toppings, such as cheese, onions, sour cream, jalapenos, etc.  I will also have a big bowl of tortilla chips, a platter of French fries, tortillas and small, individual size bags of corn chips.  That way, people can put together whatever they want….chili fries, chili nachos, chili burritos, or even “walking tacos” with the corn chips.  How fun is that? 

The best part of this buffet o’ chili is the chili itself.  This is my favorite chili recipe, and I am so excited to share it with you!  It is my Pulled Pork Chili.  I start by slow cooking a pork shoulder overnight in my slow cooker.  I douse the pork shoulder in Gourmet Rooster Smokehouse Bacon BBQ sauce and let that baby cook all night…low and slow.

The rest of the chili is super simple.  I use onions, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, kidney beans, pinto beans and a few packs of chili seasoning.  It is so easy to put together and so crazy good.  The pork gives it a rich flavor that is so different than most chilies you have had.

I start by browning the onions in some of the fat that I skimmed off of the pork shoulder.  Then, I add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and some of the cooking liquid from the slow cooker.  (Remember, the pork was cooked in BBQ sauce so the cooking liquid shouldn’t be wasted.)  I stir in the seasoning packs, some cinnamon, and some cayenne and let it boil.  Once it boils for a few minutes…I add back in the shredded pork and the beans and let that heat through.  Then it’s done! 

 

You have to try this chili.  If you love a good pulled pork sandwich, and really, who doesn’t?.....You will love this.  And just think…you can use it with nachos, chili fries, etc.!

I do have one more recipe to show you today…..Kaepcakes!  I thought I was so clever for coming up with this, but since I did….I have seen my little Kaepcakes in several other places.  But who cares?  I know all of us Reno-ites love Colin Kaepernick and what better way to celebrate him then cupcakes named after him?

 

I used a red velvet cake mix for my cupcakes.  I replace the water that the box calls for with milk, and I added an extra egg.  This will give the cupcakes a richer taste and they will taste less “box-like”.  I topped the cupcakes with my cream cheese frosting and then dipped the whole thing in gold sprinkles.  Red and Gold just like the ‘Niners!  I think Colin would eat one.  And I definitely think you should make some Kaepcakes for your Super Bowl celebration. 

If you are cheering for the Ravens….Lewiscakes didn’t quite have the same ring to it.  My apologies…..

Pulled Pork Chili

4 pound Pork Shoulder

10 ounces Gourmet Rooster BBQ Sauce (or your favorite sauce)

1 large white onion, diced

14.5 can diced tomatoes

29 ounces tomato sauce

3 1.25 ounce packages chili seasoning Mix

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)

15 ounce can kidney beans, drained

15 ounce can pinto beans, drained

Place pork shoulder in slow cooker.  Cover pork with BBQ sauce.  Cook on low for 8 hours.  Remove from slow cooker, shred and set aside.  Skim 2 tablespoons fat off of cooking liquid and reserve.  Discard remaining fat, saving cooking liquid.

In a large pot, brown onion in reserved pork fat.  Cook over medium high heat until onions start to brown, about 5 minutes.  Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and 1 ½ cups of reserved cooking liquid.  Add seasoning packs, cinnamon and cayenne.  Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to medium.  Simmer chili for 10 minutes.  Add shredded pork and beans and heat through.

Serves 12

 

Cream Cheese Frosting (For Kaepcakes!)

1 stick butter (1/2 cup), softened

8 ounces cream cheese, softened

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

4 cups powdered sugar

In a large bowl, blend together with a hand mixer, softened cream cheese and butter until smooth. Slowly blend in vanilla. Finally, blend in powdered sugar until desired consistency is reached.

 

Makes enough for 24 “Kaepcakes”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share