logo

logo

Friday, September 7, 2012

Queso Fundido for Football!


Hi guys!  Happy Friday!

Are you all ready for football season?  Chris sure is.  He looks forward to football season the way a kid looks forward to Christmas.  And most years, he is super let down at the end.  But nevertheless…..he gets way too excited every year.  He loves his Forty-niners.  And Wolfpack.  And I try and make him love his Galena Grizzly Renegades because Addy cheers for them.

You know what I love about football?  I bet you can guess this even if you haven’t read my previous blogs about football.  Yep, I love snacks.  I love football food the same way Chris loves football.  Wings, dips, burgers…..I love it all.  Today I am going to show you a dip that I have made many times, for many games. 

I call this dip Queso Fundido.  I call it that because I have had queso dips in restaurants called “Queso Fundido” and I like the name.  I have no idea what “fundido” means.  I googled it and the best I can figure out is it means “molten”.  I could, of course, be totally wrong.

No matter what I call it, it is a hot dip full of creamy cheese, green chilis, corn and chorizo.  It is so crazy good that I don’t even notice that I am being forced to watch football.  We dip chips in it and spread it on tortillas.  It is the best when it is hot, but it ain’t too shabby at room temperature.

Let me show you how I make it.  It is super easy.

 

Oh, did I mention that this dip is in no way, shape or form good for you?  Just accept that and move on.

I used pork chorizo, Velveeta brand Queso Blanco shredded cheese, cream cheese, mayo, shallot, fire roasted green chilis, green onion, garlic and Chipotle White corn.

 

I started by chopping my shallots into pretty tiny pieces.  Not quite a mince, but more of a dice.

 

I threw the shallot into a skillet with my chorizo, and some garlic.  As always, don’t read the package on the chorizo.  You don’t want to know.

And yes, I see what that picture looks like.  Not too flattering for the chorizo.

 

I browned the chorizo with the shallots for about 8 minutes, or until the chorizo was browned and crumbly.

Chorizo is a Mexican spiced sausage.  It is delicious and just a tad spicy.  You can usually find it with you stores ethnic refrigerated stuff.

Once the chorizo and onion were cooked, I took the pan off the stove to cool.

 

Meanwhile, I put my cream cheese and mayo in a mixing bowl.  I had let my cream cheese come to room temperature first.

 

With a hand mixer, I blended the mayo and cream cheese until it was super smooth and creamy.

 

Then, I stirred in my fire roasted green chilis (drained), green onions and chipotle corn (drained). 

 

I also stirred in my shredded cheese.

 

And finally, the chorizo which has cooled a bit.

This is done!  It just needs to be baked now.

 

I put my queso in an oven proof bowl and baked this at 425 degrees for about 20-25 minutes, or until it is super brown and bubbly.  It will be “molten”.

 

See?  Brown and bubbly.  And so good.  I dive in face first, but you might want to wait till this cools off.

 

This dip is so creamy and cheesy that you will want to eat all of it.  Remember, you have 4 quarters!

 

This dip actually ends up pretty mild.  You can tell because Addy is eating it, happily.  If you want to spice it up, feel free to add jalapenos or hot sauce!

I hope the ‘Niners have a good year……I don’t want to hear about what they could be doing differently;)

 

Queso Fundido

5 ounces pork chorizo

2 shallots, diced

1 clove garlic, minced

8 ounces cream cheese, softened

½ cup mayonnaise

½ cup green onions, diced

7 ounces diced fire roasted green chilis, drained

1 cup chipotle white corn, drained

2 cups Jack cheese

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Sauté chorizo with shallots and garlic, over medium high heat, for about 8 minutes or until chorizo in browned and crumbly.  Set aside to cool.

In a mixing bowl, blend mayo and cream cheese with a hand mixer until smooth and creamy.  Stir in green onions, green chilis and corn.  Stir in cheese and chorizo/shallot mixture. 

Spoon mixture into an oven proof dish.  Bake at 425 for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until top is brown and bubbly.

Serve with tortilla chips and tortillas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share