logo

logo

Friday, February 3, 2012

Super Bowl Food....Part 2

Hi everyone!  I hate being a day off with my blogs, but life got in the way this week.  Paisley and I both had a stomach bug that was a nightmare.  Needless to say, food was the last thing on my mind.  But today I am back on the horse….the food horse?  I knew I had to get the rest of my Super Bowl menu posted for you guys….it is 2 days, right?

So let’s get right to it.  I am going to start with my BBQ Short Rib Sliders…..



First off, let me start by telling you a little bit about the actual short ribs.  I sent Chris to the store to get them for me because I wasn’t feeling good enough to go out.  He brought home boneless short ribs.  My bad, I guess I didn’t tell him to get the regular bone-in kind.  But I can tell you….get the bone-in kind!  It will work with boneless, but bone-in is so much better.  The bone has tons of flavor.  I know that sounds gross, but it’s true.

I also used a diced onion, a diced bell pepper, a bottle of beer and Gourmet Rooster BBQ sauce.  Ok, you caught me….I used store-bought diced bell pepper, as you can tell my by the colors.

I serve these sandwiches on little buns (they are sliders, after all) with provolone cheese, but that comes later.



First, I browned the short ribs in hot oil, on the stovetop.  I had to do it in batches so I wouldn’t crowd the poor little guys.  This is a quick process, but a necessary one.



Then, I threw the browned (Placed actually, throwing them would be dangerous;) short ribs into the slow cooker with the onion, bell pepper, BBQ sauce and beer.  I cooked these on low for 8 hours.  Short ribs need to cook on low, and for a long time.  Don’t rush this.  The length of time is what makes these tender.  You could totally do it the night before the big game.  Let them cook while you sleep!

Once the 8 hours was done, I pulled out the short ribs.  I shredded the meat and added it back to the pot.  I also skimmed all the fat out of the pot.  There will be a lot.  Short ribs are fatty little suckers!  This meat can stay warm in the slow cooker for a long time, and your guests can serve themselves anytime during the game.  Just put some little rolls and cheese next to the slow cooker.



I love sliders.  I think they are great game food.  They are the perfect size to grab and throw on a plate with other apps.  All finger foods, all the time….that’s my motto;)

I serve this with Blue Cheese Bacon Coleslaw on the side.  People can put the slaw on their sandwiches, or just on their plate.  I’m not the slaw police.  I am not going to show you how to make the slaw, as it is crazy easy, but I will include the recipe at the end of this.  And a picture ……right now……



This is the best coleslaw you will ever eat.  Hands down.  I don’t know that that even means, but I know this slaw is the best.  I promise.

On to the Loaded Brownies…..

These brownies are “loaded” with tons of good stuff.  And you can even add more to jazz them up any way you want.  I use peanut butter chips, toffee chips, crushed pretzels and pecans.  You could totally throw in chocolate chips, crushed graham crackers, coconut, etc.

They also get a super delicious frosting that I could eat straight.  I love frosting.



What you are looking at above is oil, sugar and vanilla extract.  These brownies are super easy because you just stir everything together.  There is no beating, no mixing wet into dry or any nonsense like that.  You literally dump and mix.

I stirred the oil, sugar and vanilla together, and then I added eggs.



Once the eggs were blended in, I dumped in flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa.  I mixed all this with a spatula.



Then, in goes the toffee, peanut butter chips, pecans and pretzels.  This is a great way to use up the bottom of the pretzel bag.  I always have tons of broken ones in the bottom of my bag.



I baked these in a 13x9 pan that was lined with foil, and sprayed with cooking spray.  This will make taking them out of the pan later super easy.

These baked at 350 for about 30 minutes, or until a toothpick stuck in the middle comes out clean.

For the frosting….



In the bowl above, I have butter and chocolate chips.  I melted these together in the microwave.



Then, I stirred in sour cream and a smidge of my coffee from this morning.

This all gets beat together with about 2 cups of powdered sugar.  I just used my hand mixer to beat it all together.  This frosting is super easy, and crazy delicious.  It will make just enough to top your brownies….if you want extra, double the recipe.



Yum!  These are a great Super Bowl treat!  They are fudgy, gooey and perfect!  I know you will love them!

I hope you all have a great weekend!  I will see you next week;)



BBQ Short Rib Sliders

3 Tablespoons vegetable oil

3 ½ lbs. short ribs, usually about 3 packages

2 teaspoons garlic salt

2 teaspoons black pepper

1 medium onion, diced

1 red bell pepper, diced

12 ounces dark beer

16 ounces Gourmet Rooster Smokehouse Bacon BBQ Sauce

24 slider sized buns

8 ounces provolone cheese

Pour oil into a large sauté pan.  Pre-heat pan over medium-high heat. 

Sprinkle short ribs evenly with garlic salt and pepper.  Brown short ribs, over medium-high heat, on all sides.  This will take about 1 to 2 minutes per side and will probably have to be done in batches. 

Place browned short ribs, onion, bell pepper, beer and BBQ sauce in slow cooker.  Stir and set slow cooker on low.  Cook short ribs for about 6 hours on low heat.

After 6 hours, remove short ribs from slow cooker.  Remove bones (and discard) and shred meat.  Add meat back into the slow cooker.  Skim the fat off of the top with a spoon.

When ready to serve:

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.  Split buns and place a piece of provolone on each.  Toast buns at 400 degrees for about 5 minutes, or until edges are browning and cheese is melting.  Split meat, onions and peppers evenly among the toasted buns.

Makes 24 sliders



Bacon and Blue Cheese Cole Slaw

14 ounces cabbage (or one bag of coleslaw), shredded

½ cup mayonnaise

2 Tablespoons vegetable oil

1 Tablespoon champagne vinegar

¼ cup sugar

2 teaspoons celery salt

5 slices bacon, cooked, drained and crumbled

4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled

Place shredded cabbage in a large bowl.

In a small mixing bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, oil, vinegar, sugar and celery salt.  Pour over cabbage.  Stir in blue cheese and bacon.  Chill.

Serves about 6



Loaded Brownies

1 cup vegetable oil

2 cups sugar

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

4 eggs

1 ¼ cups flour

2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa

½ teaspoon baking powder

½ teaspoon salt

½ cup toffee chips

½ cup pretzels, crushed

½ cup peanut butter chips

½  cup pecans, chopped
Frosting:
½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 Tablespoons butter
¼ cup sour cream
1 Tablespoon prepared coffee
A pinch of salt (1/8 teaspoon)
2 cups powdered (confectioners) sugar
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.  Line a 13x9 baking pan with parchment paper sprayed with cooking spray.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together oil, sugar, and vanilla.  Once smooth, whisk in eggs, one at a time.  Switching to a spatula, stir in flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa.  Stir just until combined.  Finally, stir in toffee chips, chopped nuts, crushed pretzels and peanut butter chips.
Pour batter into lined and greased pan.  Spread evenly.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.  Let cool for at least 1 hour before frosting.
For frosting:
Microwave chocolate chips and butter together, in a small heat proof bowl, for 1 minute at 50% power.  Stir and heat again for 30 seconds at full power.  Stir and heat again in 30 second increments until melted and smooth.  Stir in coffee.
In a large mixing bowl, beat together melted chocolate mixture, sour cream, salt and powdered sugar with a hand mixer.  Beat until mixture is smooth and fluffy.
Spread frosting over cooled brownies and cut into 24 squares.  Brownies should come out of the pan easily because of the parchment paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share