logo

logo

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Deviled Eggs Times Two

First off, have you ordered your holiday cards yet?  If you haven’t….consider going to Etsy.com to pick out this year’s card.  You will get to choose from tons of original designs, plus you will be supporting a small business.  You get to pick a design, and the designer will send you a downloadable card.  Then, you take it to wherever to get it printed (Wal-Mart, Costco, etc.)  I did just that for my Gourmet Rooster Holiday cards.  I chose a design by SaraLukeCreative.  She is on Etsy and has tons of fabulous cards.  Here is the card she designed for me to send to my stores, manufacturer, graphic designer, etc.

Don’t you love it??

Back to the food…..

It’s like 1985 up in here.  Why you ask?  Because we are making deviled eggs today…..and they seem so totally 80’s to me.  They could have been more popular in a different decade, say the 60’s, but I wasn’t alive then….so I am sticking with the 80’s.

 Anyhoo, deviled eggs seem like such a holiday food to me.  Maybe that is because they get busted out at any holiday celebration on my husband’s side of the family.  Deviled eggs and onion dip are a staple at any holiday function with them.  Since I have already shown you a great recipe for onion dip, http://www.gourmetrooster.blogspot.com/2011/03/5-4-3-2-12011.html, I thought today I would try my hand at deviled eggs.  I have two great recipes that will for sure jazz up your deviled eggs.  They can get a tad boring, so they could use some dressing up.


I started with 12 hard-boiled eggs.  I bought my eggs already boiled and peeled.  I can’t hard boil an egg.  I just can’t.  Please don’t send me your method for hard boiling an egg because I can guarantee that it won’t work for me.  I am not afraid to admit in front of God and my 435 Facebook friends.  I can’t boil an egg.


My first recipe is BBQ deviled eggs.  I used 6 eggs, mayo, Gourmet Rooster Smokehouse Bacon BBQ Sauce, salt, green onion and bacon.

Deviled eggs are really easy to make.  You just have to find that perfect ratio of mayo and other condiments to egg yolk.  You don’t want a runny filling, but you also don’t want your filling to be too stiff.  I have found that balance.  Just with eggs, not with life.


I started by cutting the eggs in half, lengthwise.  The yolks should pop right out.


With a fork, I smashed the yolks until they were the consistency of fine bread crumbs.  Yes, I know yolks are soft and bread crumbs are not.  I am just talking about size and bread crumbs were all I could think of.


Then, I stirred in some mayo and some BBQ sauce.  You want this mixture pretty smooth.

Doesn’t this already sound so much better than just the mayo/mustard combo?


I used a piping bag to fill my eggs.  If you don’t have a piping bag and a star tip, fill a re-sealable bag with your egg mixture.  Push the mixture down into one corner of the bag, and then cut the corner off the bag.  This will be your piping bag.

I also topped each egg with bacon bits and green onion.  You will only need 1 or 2 slices of bacon, and about a tablespoon of chopped green onion.  Chives would work too.


I also sprinkled pepper over the tops of mine.  That is totally optional.  My kids loved these.  They aren’t the world’s biggest fans of mustard, so they preferred these to basic deviled eggs.


My next deviled egg is a chipotle deviled egg.  It has a Mexican flair that is super yummy.  I used 6 eggs again, mayo, a canned chipotle in adobo sauce, salt, chopped tomato, chopped red onion and cilantro.

I chose chipotles from a can.  This is just a smoked jalapeno that is kept in adobo sauce.  Adobo sauce is vinegary and super spicy. You can use a chipotle flavored taco sauce too.  This might be a better choice since you are only using ½ of a chipotle.  You will have a whole can left…..but they freeze well.


I started by making a chipotle mayonnaise.  I blended the chipotle with some mayo in my magic bullet.  If you don’t have a processor of some sort, you can mince the pepper finely, and then smash it with the side of your knife.  It will make a paste that you can mix into the mayo.

You can go as spicy as you like.  I use ½ a chipotle, you can feel free to be a bad-ass and use more.


Same idea as the first version, I stirred the chipotle mayo into the smashed yolks.


I filled the eggs with my piping bag again, and I topped these with the chopped tomato, chopped red onion and finely chopped cilantro.


Yum!


These eggs were a hit at my house, and I am sure they will be a hit at yours too.  If you want to make more, these recipes easily double.  I only made 6 of each because it was just the 4 of us.  How many eggs can one person eat?:)

I hope you try these recipes this holiday season.  Take some picture for me if you do!

BBQ Deviled Eggs

6 boiled eggs

1/8 cup mayonnaise

1/8 cup Gourmet Rooster Smokehouse Bacon BBQ Sauce

½ teaspoon salt

¼ teaspoon pepper

2 slices bacon, cooked until crisp and crumbled

1 tablespoon green onion, chopped

Slice eggs lengthwise and remove yolks into a bowl.  Set whites aside.

Mash yolks with a fork.  Stir mayo and BBQ sauce into yolks.  Add salt and stir until smooth.  Fill egg white “shells” with filling.  Sprinkle bacon, green onion and pepper over the tops.



Chipotle Deviled Eggs

6 boiled eggs

¼ cup mayonnaise

½ of a chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, (canned)

½ teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon tomato, chopped finely

1 tablespoon red onion, chopped finely

1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped finely

Slice eggs lengthwise and remove yolks into a bowl.  Set whites aside.

In a food processor, blend together mayo and chipotle.

Mash yolks with a fork.  Stir in chipotle mayo.  Add salt and stir until smooth.  Fill egg white “shells” with filling.  Sprinkle tomato, red onion and cilantro over the tops.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share