logo

logo

Thursday, August 4, 2011

The Best Bloody Mary...and a Couple Other Things

 Good afternoon!  I am a little late with posting this morning.  I woke up bright and early, ready to post….I had my friend Travis scheduled to watch the kids….I was ready!  Chris came in and said that there was a nail in his tire, and I needed to get that taken care of.  Off he went, in my car.  So I dropped the kids off and headed down the mountain to Walmart.  A full wild goose chase ensued from there.  (Where does that saying come from?  Are there a lot of domesticated geese that nobody has to chase?  How come it is always one goose and not geese being chased?)  Ok, beside the point….Three stops later, I had a full new set of tires, not just a patched tire.  And I had wasted the entire morning….and wasted babysitting time which is like gold.  I was not a happy girl.  But here I am, ready to share with you the wonders of BBQ sauce.
As one would assume from someone in my line of work, my house is always well stocked with BBQ sauce.  I try to come up with other ways to use it then just slapping it on grilled meat.  I use it wherever and whenever I can.  Don’t be surprised if you come to see me and I serve you a grilled cheese, with BBQ sauce.  Pizza, with BBQ sauce.  Tacos, with BBQ sauce.  You get my point.  We eat a lot of it.  Today I am going to share with you 3 ways to use BBQ sauce that you might not have thought of.
I will start with my favorite.  This is THE best recipe for a Bloody Mary that you will ever try.  I am not kidding.  I am not bragging, tooting my own horn, or anything of the like.  It is that good.  I know you might be weirded out by BBQ sauce in a drink, but trust me.  I have never steered you wrong.
This recipe uses vodka, Gourmet Rooster Smoky Chipotle BBQ sauce, tomato juice, lime juice, Worcestershire sauce, and salt and pepper.
I use plain vodka, but you could always use a hot pepper vodka.  Your choice, but plain is perfect.
I blend together the tomato juice and BBQ sauce just to make sure that there are no chunks.  My Smoky Chipotle sauce has yummy bits of onion and bell pepper in it.  I like my drinks smooth.  I prefer not to chew them……
Then, add everything to a pitcher filled with ice.  This drink needs to be cold!!
I serve my BBQ Bloody Mary with grilled asparagus instead of celery.  This drink is perfect for an outdoor BBQ.  Once the BBQ is on, toss on some asparagus. 
The BBQ sauce gives this Bloody Mary a surprising kick that I think a Bloody Mary needs.  Sometimes they are too bland and then again, sometimes they are too spicy.  This version has a smoky kick that everyone will love!
My next BBQ trick/recipe is BBQ nuts.  These are a fantastic party snack, and so easy to make!  I love flavoring my own nuts.  For some reason, every time I say that, or type that…..I giggle.  You too?
To make these BBQ nuts, I use Gourmet Rooster Smokehouse Bacon BBQ sauce, a can of mixed nuts, and some butter.  I will be going through the nuts and picking out the Brazil buts.  They look like toes, and they freak me out.  You could make this recipe with any nuts you choose....even Brazil nuts.
In a large skillet, I melted the butter, and then I added my nuts.  I stirred in some sauce and let all the nuts get nice and coated with sauce and butter.  Look, some of the toes didn’t get picked out!
Once all the nuts get coated, I spread them out on a greased cookie sheet.  It is important to spray your tray with cooking spray.  The sauce has a lot of sugar in it and when that caramelizes, it will stick like nobody’s business.
This bakes for about 25 minutes.  Every 10 minutes or so, I open the oven and give the tray a good shake.  Not for fun, but to keep the nuts cooking evenly.
These nuts are smoky and salty, with just a hint of sweetness from the tomatoes in the BBQ sauce.  These are addicting!
My final trick is something I have shown you before.  For my 4th of July menu, I made grilled corn that I served with a compound butter consisting of butter and BBQ sauce.  I had told you then that you could serve it on any number of things, but I wanted to show you a couple….and give you a way to get a perfect “shape” to your butter.

I used Gourmet Rooster Smoky Chipotle BBQ sauce, but you can use whatever flavor you like.  I also used 2 sticks of butter.  Plan ahead because you need soft butter.  I let mine sit out on the counter all day.
If you butter is very soft, like my thighs, you can mix this by hand.  I cheat and use my food processor. 
What is that?  An empty paper towel tube?  Yes, yes it is.  I line it with plastic wrap and stuff the butter into the tube.  This way, when the butter hardens back up in the fridge….it will firm up in a perfect cylindrical shape.  After a few hours in the fridge, I pull the plastic wrapped tube out of the cardboard tube.  Perfect shape…every time.  I am so resourceful!
See?  It’s all tube-like!
It is fantastic on grilled asparagus!  Once it starts to melt, it will run all over the asparagus, coating it in smoky goodness.
On a baked potato?  Yum!  Transform a plain baked potato into something entirely different!  Saves calories too.  I mean, it’s still butter, but you won’t need cheese and sour cream!
Here is my favorite!  As soon as I pull my steaks off the grill, I toss on some BBQ butter and let it melt all over the top.  This makes the best steak you will ever have.
This butter will keep in the fridge for a few weeks, easily.  I am curious to hear your ideas of what you would put BBQ butter on…..Let’s hear ‘em!!  And as always, if you make something from any of my posts, post a pic on Facebook!
And oh yeah, after the recipes, I will post a list of where you can buy my Gourmet Rooster sauces and spreads…..If you can’t find a store near you, call me and I will send you some!
Smoky Chipotle Bloody Mary
12 ounces Tomato Juice
8 ounces Vodka
2 ounces lime juice
2 tablespoons Gourmet Rooster Smoky Chipotle BBQ Sauce
3 dashes Worcestershire Sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
Grilled asparagus for garnish

In a blender, combine BBQ sauce and tomato juice until smooth.  Pour mixture into a pitcher filled with ice.  Add remaining ingredients and mix well.  Garnish with grilled asparagus.
Serve icy cold!  Serves 4
Smokehouse Bacon Mixed Nuts
2 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup Gourmet Rooster Smokehouse Bacon BBQ Sauce
10 ounce can mixed nuts
Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat.  Add nuts and sauce.  Toss to coat all nuts evenly. 
Spread nuts in one even layer on a greased cookie sheet.  Bake at 325 degrees for a total of about 25 minutes.  Stir nuts a couple of times during baking to ensure even cooking.  Let cool before serving.

BBQ Butter
2 sticks butter, softened
½ cup BBQ sauce
Blend butter with sauce in a food processor.  Lay butter on plastic wrap and roll into a tube shape, or use cardboard paper towel tube to help form shape.  Chill for at least 3 hours.

Where to buy Gourmet Rooster…..

Nevada
The Cheeseboard
-American Bistro and Catering Company-
247 California Avenue
Reno, NV  89509
(775) 323-3115

Wet Hen Café
3979 S. McCarran Blvd.
Reno, NV 89502
(775) 657-8880

The Market on South Virginia
7300 S. Virginia St.
Reno, NV  89511
(775) 853-6686

Maynard Station
1491 S. Main St.
Virginia City, NV  89440
(775) 847-0181

California
The Royal Rooster
1030 Diablo St.
Clayton, CA  94517
(925) 672-2025

Piedmont Grocery
4038 Piedmont Ave.
Oakland, CA  94611
(510) 653-8181

Draeger’s-Blackhawk
4100 Blackhawk Plaza Circle
Danville, CA  94506
(925) 648-5800

Gene’s Fine Foods
2803 Hopyard Road
Pleasanton, CA  94588
(925) 846-8220

The Cooking Gallery
10084 Donner Pass Road
Truckee, CA  96161
(530) 587-8303

The Galley
551 Country Drive
Chico, CA  95928
(530) 343-8820

The Spice Tin
457 N. Algiers Street
Murphys, CA  95247
(209) 728-8225

Minnesota
Evergreen Gifts and Fun
26468 US Highway 71
Park Rapids, MN  56470
(218) 732-9609

Thrifty White #37
125 1st Ave. South
Perham, MN  56573
(218) 346-4840

Wisconsin
Market Square Cheese
1150 Wisconsin Dells Parkway S
Lake Delton, WI  53940
(608) 254-8388



No comments:

Post a Comment

Share