logo

logo

Thursday, July 21, 2011

If You Like Pina Coladas....

Good afternoon!  I have to make this quick….Addy has cheerleading practice later that I have to get her to.  She just started on Tuesday.  Reno means business when it comes to football and cheerleading.  It’s like “Friday Night Lights”.  Seriously.  You would think we were in Texas.  It wasn’t like that in California where I am from.  Sure, the football players and cheerleaders were popular, but no more so then baseball players, basketball players, swimmers or deadbeats who did nothing remotely athletic, like me.  It is a big deal here.  So I am glad that I am starting her at 6.  There is nothing I won’t do for popularity.  I know you want to think that is a joke….so yeah, let’s go with that;)
I am kind of living my dream through Addy and her cheerleading.  I don’t like to admit this, but I tried out for cheerleading once in high school and didn’t make it.  It was then that I realized that I am a giant spaz.  You would think the fact that I couldn’t ride a bike till I was 9 would have told me something, but no.  I was still convinced that I was a hot dancer with tons of rhythm, and I clearly wasn’t.  The not making cheerleading thing was a huge blow to my ego.  I still might not be over it.  I’ll be honest….it’s a sore spot.
Anyhoo, back to the matter at hand…..Today is the final day of “Boozie Cakes”.  I will show you how to make a Pina Colada Cake.  A pina colada is a frozen, blended drink made from coconut milk, pineapple and rum.  They taste like Hawaii.  This cake was Chris’s favorite.  It is a pineapple and rum flavored Bundt cake with a coconut rum glaze…. So if you like pina coladas….
And getting caught in the rain.
If you’re not into yoga.
If you have half a brain.
Oh you knew I’d go there;)
To make the cake, I used a yellow cake mix.  Yep, boxed mix again.  You could make this from scratch if you are so inclined.  I also used oil and eggs just like the box told me to.  I replaced the water with rum, just like I did with the daiquiri cake.  I used a clear rum, but you can use whatever you have.  I also used a splash of coconut extract and some crushed pineapple.
I followed the box directions and beat the cake mix with eggs, oil, and the rum instead of water.  I also beat in the coconut extract.  Once this was thoroughly beaten, I added 1 cup of drained, crushed pineapple.  I folded the pineapple in gently.  Actually I just stirred it in with a spatula.  I said “fold” to sound cheffy.
I poured the batter into a Bundt pan that I had sprayed the bajesus out of with cooking spray.  There is nothing worse than trying to get a cake out of a pan and half of it stays in the pan.  I wanted this to be pretty!  But, if yours doesn’t come out in a pretty fashion, don’t worry.  You can cover that part with glaze.
I baked the cake according to the package directions, about 35 minutes.  OMG-it made my house smell like a tropical island.  And then I remembered that I am in Reno;)
Once the cake cooled for about 2 hours, I ran an offset spatula around the edges (pictured above).  I loosened in all over before I tried to flip it out of the pan.  I also said a prayer to the “pretty cake” gods.
To make the glaze for this cake, I used powdered sugar, unsweetened coconut milk, and rum extract.  If you aren’t feeding kids, feel free to use regular rum.  I also have shredded coconut pictured because I will toss that all over the cake once it is glazed.
All I did for this glaze was whisk together the sugar, about 3 tablespoons of coconut milk and 1 tablespoon of rum extract.  I whisked it until it was all blended and smooth.  The coconut milk will be chunky, but the chunks will whisk right out.  FYI- you can get coconut milk in the Asian section of your grocery store.
I poured the glaze over the top of the cake.  It will run down the sides and pool in the middle, but that is Ok!  The more glaze…the better!
I sprinkled the shredded (sweetened) coconut all over the cake.  It will stick to the glaze.  You could toast the coconut if you like that flavor better, but I wanted to stay true to a pina colada.  Because I’m the lady you looked for, come with me and escape.  Can anyone actually tell me the name of who sings that?
This cake was soft, moist and really, really delicious.  This is a perfect cake for the summer.  Or anytime you need a quick tropical “moment”;)  I hope you try this cake or any of my other “Boozie Cakes”.  There isn’t really ever a time that I couldn’t use a drink, so these cakes really hit the spot.
Pina Colada Bundt Cake
1 box yellow cake mix
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs
1 cup rum
1 tablespoon coconut extract
1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
Coconut Rum Glaze
1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a Bundt pan with cooking spray.
In a large bowl, beat together cake mix, oil, eggs, rum and coconut extract with a hand mixer for 2 minutes.  Stir in drained pineapple.
Pour batter into greased Bundt pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 35 -38 minutes, or until a toothpick tester comes out clean.  Let cake cool, in pan, for at least 2 hours.
Once cake is cooled, invert onto cake plate.  Pour glaze over cake and top with shredded coconut.

Coconut Rum Glaze
2 to 3 cups powdered sugar
3 tablespoons unsweetened coconut milk
1 tablespoon rum extract
Whisk all ingredients together.  Start with 2 cups of powdered sugar and add small amounts as needed.  This will depend on the humidity where you live and the texture you desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share